ISO 22000 is an international standard that defines the requirements of a food safety management system covering all organizations in the food chain from ‘farm to fork’. The standard combines generally recognized key elements to ensure food safety along the food chain, including:
- Interactive communication
- System management
- Control of food safety hazards through pre-requisite programmes and HACCP plans
- Continual improvement and updating of the food safety management system
ISO 22000 is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size, which are involved in any aspect of the food chain and want to implement systems that consistently provide safe products. ISO 22000 is a truly international standard suitable for any business in the entire food chain, including inter-related organizations such as producers of equipment, packaging material, cleaning agents, additives and ingredients.
ISO 22000 certification states commitment to food safety, proves integrity to the market, and enhances consumer confidence in the brand brand of any organization apart of food chain, also it ensures that the organization is fulfilling the requirements specified in ISO 22000:2005 for a food safety management system and its ability to control food safety hazards, is measured, in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. Auditors from SWC have audited and certified many clients across UAE, and awarded with the high satisfaction from their audit and certification activities.
ISO 22000:2005 is also for companies seeking to integrate their quality management system (e.g ISO 9001:2008) and their food safety management system.
The ISO 22000 family contains a number of standards each focusing on different aspects of food safety management
- ISO 22000:2005 Overall guidelines for food safety management.
- ISO 22004:2014 Generic advice on the application of ISO 22000
- ISO 22005:2007 Tractability in the feed and food chain
- ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 Prerequisites for food manufacturing
- ISO/TS 22002-2:2013 Prerequisites for catering
- ISO/TS 22002-3:2011 Prerequisites for farming
- ISO/TS 22002-4:2013 Prerequisites for food packaging manufacturing
- ISO/TS 22003:2013 Guidelines for audit and certification bodies
ISO 22000:2005 sets out the requirements for a food safety management system and can be certified to. It maps out what an organization needs to do to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe. It can be used by any organization regardless of its size or position in the food chain.
This standard was published in 2005 (hence ISO 22000:2005) bye ISO, it is under revision and the final updated version is expected early 2017.